Monday, March 06, 2017

More Sourdough Bread: Terra Cotta vs Enameled Cast-Iron

On our last visit to Savers, I found this real nice Terra Cotta dutch oven for $3.50.  It says "Gourmet Topf" on the lid and measures about 12" x 8" at the center.  I looked on ebay and these sell for around $50.  Sweet Deal!

Now that I have this cookware along with the blue Le Creuset, I can bake two loaves simultaneously and save time and electricity. It would also give a chance see if there is any difference between the two for the end product.

I followed the same process as in the other post with a few minor changes.  Since I started late in the evening I didn't have time to do 4-5 proofing and folding cycles.  Instead after 1 cycle, I just left in on the counter overnight to proof.  In the morning, the dough had filled the proofing container just like when we left it to go shopping.  In the morning I just pretended the proofing cycle was over and formed two loafs and continued the process from there.  I put the loaves in the proofing baskets and put them in the refrigerator for about 4-5 hours.

I soaked the Terra Cotta with water and put both dutch ovens in the oven to preheat to 500 degrees.



 At 500 degrees I slid both loaves in using a pizza peel and put on the covers.  After 30 minutes, I removed both covers, lowered the oven to 450 degrees and baked them for 20 more minutes.



Both loaves completed.

 To me it seems like there is little difference between the two  loaves. I am sure they will taste the same also. We will see.

Sourdough bread ready to eat.





No comments: